Beacon Legal has partnered with an ASX-listed construction company looking to hire a Legal Counsel to join its high-performing in-house team. The company has developed a reputation as a market leader in its field and is a very well known name in the construction sector. The company is currently undergoing a period of growth and has been one of Australia’s success stories throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. It’s a really exciting time for the business and a great time for a lawyer to be joining the team.
The Legal Counsel will report to a Senior Legal Counsel but have a close working relationship with all members of the legal team, including the General Counsel. The team is made up of highly skilled, well-trained, commercial and friendly lawyers.
The successful candidate will responsible for providing legal advice to the business across its Australian operations (in all jurisdictions). The work will include, but not be limited to:
- Drafting and negotiating a range of commercial documents, including IT, IP, procurement and supply agreements;
- Advising key internal stakeholders on transactional work – including acquisitions, divestments and joint venture arrangements;
- Assisting the company with any disputes, and actively looking to minimise the need for disputes through pre-litigation management;
- Advising the business on various regulatory issues (including those relating to competition, safety and privacy law);
- Liaising with external law firms as required;
- Identifying risks across the company’s various business streams and implementing strategies to help mitigate those risks;
- Providing internal legal training to the business;
- Building and maintaining strong commercial relationships with key business stakeholders across all divisions and at varying levels of seniority;
- Building and maintaining the company’s precedent database and actively seeking to drive innovation, change and improvement in the way the legal function operates.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced corporate lawyer, from either a reputable Australian law firm or a similar in-house role. Key criteria include:
- Admission as a lawyer in Australia or New Zealand;
- At least 3 years’ PQE in (ideally) corporate M&A, or other corporate/commercial practice areas;
- A genuine interest in listed businesses and the corporate structure, transactional activity and governance requirements pivotal to their operation;
- A desire to work as part of a fast-paced, highly professional organisation;
- Excellent communication skills, and an ability to deliver clear and concise legal advice in a succinct way;
- A proven ability to effectively manage relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the business.
If you’re interested in this position, apply directly or get in touch with Matthew Edwards via email (email@example.com) or phone (0406 809 995).