We’re working with an emerging Australian wealth management business. In a short time frame, the company has established itself as one of the leading specialist private wealth management businesses in the market. The company is at a really exciting point in its growth phase, and the need to hire a Legal Counsel is a direct reflection of the growth of the business.
The Legal Counsel role reports directly to the company’s General Counsel – a fantastic leader who takes a lot of pride in the development and support of his staff. The role will involve, but not be limited to, the following:
- Providing legal advice in relation to the laws governing the regulation of financial services in Australia, including AML/CTF, privacy and wealth management laws specifically.
- Engaging in more ‘general’ commercial work including the review of various commercial contracts, advising on employment law issues, data protection and IP and corporate governance.
- Identifying any key risks to the business and raise them with the appropriate team internally.
- Providing legal training to the business as required.
- Engaging with external law firms and ensuring that those firms provide a streamlined and efficient service to the legal team.
- Juggling multiple stakeholder relationships (including executive level relationships) and often acting as the first point of contact for any issues that the business may raise.
The successful candidate will be a qualified Australian or NZ lawyer with the following attributes:
- At least 5 years’ experience working in a similar role, either in the corporate or financial services team at a reputable law firm or in an in-house role with a reputable financial services company.
- Experience in financial services regulation, wealth management, AML/CTF or Corps Act issues is highly advantageous.
- A demonstrable ability to interact effectively with stakeholders at all levels.
- Proven time management skills.
- Written and verbal communication skills and an ability to distil complex legal concepts into simple, commercial advice.
- A willingness to work as part of a high performing team.
If this role sounds of interest, please apply or get in touch with Matthew Edwards for a confidential discussion on +61 406 809 995. CV’s can also be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.